Security in and for your home can feel like an afterthought. However, practicing smart security can potentially protect your home from burglary. Another aspect of home security is that it can add significant cost to the homebuyer. We’d like to suggest some easy, more affordable options than a security system to help you be safe and save.
There are more ideas than these! Keep researching! These are just to get you started.
- Install cameras. This is an easy on trend way to protect your home. While they don’t offer coverage like a security system, thieves can see them and know they’ll be on camera. There are also cameras that you can speak into, so when you see someone trying to take something in your yard or breaking in you can scare them off.
- Leave the lights on. If the area around your home is well lit then people trying to break in will likely be seen, also interior lighting being on just makes it look like your home. Don’t leave lamps on, or lights that get very hot. Try the light over the sink on an overhead bedroom light.
- Try installing deadbolts. If your mobile home doors don’t have a deadbolt, think about installing one. They are much harder to bust than a typical lock. It’s also a good practice to change the locks at your home if you’ve moved.
- Hang blinds/solid curtains. Often times because mobile home window sizes can be unique, blinds are not hung. However, these are a good deterrent from burglary. Blinds and/or solid shades keep people from seeing in, which ultimately keeps them from knowing what’s inside and the layout of things in your home. It also can keep people from knowing if someone is home or not.
- Be outside when you’re home. Maintain a presence outside when you are home. This lets neighbors know you are aware and if you are outside often they’ll know you’re probably home often.
- Place outdoor items in a locked shed/ garage. People will often try to take trailers or lawn mowers, and items like this because of easy access. Add locks to wherever you keep these items. Be sure to put items away after using them. You can also add motion lights above the entry to scare off people who might try to steal something.
We hope these ideas help you keep your home safe and protect your valuables. It’s always a good idea to get to know your neighbors and offer to keep an eye out when they go on trip and vice versa if you feel comfortable.