Is your closet out of control? Come on, we’re talking you can barely shut it, you wear the same jeans every day because you can’t find anything else, and you’ve got shoes from middle school. It’s okay – we’re talking from experience – our closets have been messy, too. But a small closet doesn’t have to equal small organization. Need a plan? Let’s get started!
The checklist below is in order – tackle one, then on to the next! Go over this list every season to ensure you’re keeping up with your organization.
- Try it on! Have a little fashion show and figure out what still fits. You can also plan some outfits during this time and get ideas of what you want to keep.
- Donate it! If it doesn’t fit or you’re not into it anymore – donate it or give it to a friend or family member.
- Use ALL space Be sure you are utilizing every bit of space in your closet!
- Door Start with the back of your door – add a hanging rack or an over the door organizer. You can use both sides of the door if needed. This is a great bit of space that most people forget.
- Floor Stack shoes and place out of season shoes in the back. You can also put them in a bin somewhere else if you have the extra storage. Add a shoe rack if you’ve got a lot of shoes!
- Hanging space Do you need to add an extra rod or dowel for storage? Doubling your hanging space is a great way to organize clothes better. Don’t forget accessories – special hangers or closet squares add space!
- Height Check the height of your closet – are you using it? If not, you may want to consider putting in a shelf. This is a great place for out of season clothes or accessories.
- Move it out If you’ve done all these things and you’ve still got serious clutter, move it somewhere else. Either fold some clothes and put them in drawers or get a bin that slides under your bed to store bulky items.
We hope this has helped you transform your closet and discover space you didn’t know you had! Go ahead – wear those shoes you forgot you had through the house and reward yourself! We would!